Electrifying Ascension: SPRINTS’ Dazzling Journey to the UK Top 20!
Hailing from Dublin, Ireland, SPRINTS is a four-piece garage punk band. Over the past three years, the band has released two EPs and built up a solid reputation on stage, opening for bands such as Yard Act and Suede.
The band consists of Karla Chubb, with guitarist Colm O’Reilly and drummer Jack Callan, who have been playing together since they were 10, and bassist Sam McCann. It was after a Savages concert at the Electric Picnic festival in 2016 that they found their sound. The list of their influences include the Pixies, Bauhaus, Siouxsie Sioux, King Gizzard, IDLES and LCD Soundsystem.
Their cathartic, danceable sound captivated press and public alike. In 2022, SPRINTS shared their second EP, A Modern Job, which NME described as “darkly defiant”. Their debut album was recorded in 12 days at Black Box Studios in the Loire Valley. They once again turned to Daniel Fox, of fellow Irish group Gilla Band, for production.
On review aggregator Metacritic, Letter to Self received a score of 88 out of 100, which is considered “universal acclaim.”
- “On their debut full-length Letter To Self, Dublin post-punk band SPRINTS excel at creating visceral experiences”. Bandcamp
- “Is it possible to have an album of the year contender on only the first week in? Of course it is”. 9/10 Clash
- “Musical exorcism at its very best” ★★★★★ DIY
- “Confrontational, ferocious and bold… an unaffected and exhilarating debut album” 8/10 Loud & Quiet
- “Colossally exciting” ★★★★ Mojo
- “This memorable and arrestingly bleak debut LP feels like a loud announcement of a striking new band” NME
- “Led by Karla Chubb and working with Gilla Band’s Daniel Fox, the Dublin four-piece draws inspiration from Savages, Bauhaus, and LCD Soundsystem, degrading nervous hooks with distortion and sludge but never losing sight of the dancefloor.” Pitchfork
- “SPRINTS are one of the most exciting young rock bands in the world, one that could hold their own alongside some of their most fiercely beloved inspirations.” Stereogum
First week playlisting
The week of its release, SPRINTS was on the menu of over 30 playlists, and featured on the cover of almost a dozen ! The music team at Qobuz have even singled this record out for a Qobuzissime award!
The album ended up on the Top 20 chart in the UK and ranked #4 on Physical Chart and #2 on Vinyl Chart. And most dates on the North American tour are sold out!
The efforts of our DSP Editorial & Partnership team continue, and this week SPRINTS entered new playlists, including Glow and Fresh Finds Rock on Spotify.