Streaming round-up – January 2024
The figure of the month: 152 million tracks had 1,000 plays or fewer on DSPs last year- 45 million had no plays at all. More info on Music Business Worldwide.
Apple Music Classical launches in China, Japan and South Korea. More info on Music Ally.
The music streaming fraud detection company Beatdapp raised $17 million and signed partnerships with Universal Music Group, SoundExchange and Napster. More info on Music Business Worldwide.
Beatport claims over $100 million in 2023 revenue. More info on Billboard.
Following a government ban, Bytedance, the parent company of TikTok, is shutting down its music streaming service Resso in India. More info on Complete Music Update.
Due to overly rapid growth, Discord is to let go of 170 employees. More info on TechCrunch.
Following a heavy fine, Google is to change its rules regarding in-app payments on Android devices. More info on Complete Music Update.
LyricFind acquired Rotor to facilitate video creation. More info on Music Week.
Meta has been accused by privacy protection organization Noyb of breaching European legislation by offering a choice that makes it more difficult for users to refuse ad tracking. More info on TechCrunch.
As SoundCloud considers options for sale (or investment), it hires former Kobalt executive Tom Sansone as CFO and COO. More info on Music Business Worldwide.
The MLC wants to audit Spotify and other DSPs to check the accuracy of their royalty payments. More info on Music Business Worldwide. Spotify claims that the EU’s Digital Markets Act (DMA) will allow the creation of “superfan clubs”. More info on Music Ally. Following the announcement of a streaming tax in France, Spotify withdraws its support for two French music festivals. More info on Music Ally.
Despite several setbacks, TikTok’s rival Triller has not given up on its ambition to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange. More info on Music Business Worldwide.
Amazon will be forced to restructure its Twitch teams. More info on The Guardian.
X / Twitter
X’s value has plummeted since Musk bought the platform and rebranded it. More info on The Guardian.
YouTube Music is extending its partnership with the European Music Managers Alliance, an initiative that should benefit more than 2,000 managers across Europe. More info on Music Business Worldwide.
Music startup Splash is launching a new feature on Amazon’s Alexa to create songs using Splash’s AI. More info on Music Ally. Amazon Music for Artists launches Hype Deck, a new promotional tool. More info on Music Ally.
Instagram allows users to create personalized stickers from still image posts. More info on Social Media Today. Instagram’s new “night nudges” aim to reduce the amount of time teenagers spend on the app. More info on TechCrunch.
Spotify does not want to develop an application for the Vision Pro headset. More info on Complete Music Update.
SoundCloud is integrating AI tools to help artists upload their music directly. More info on Music Week.
TikTok is testing an “AI Song” tool to generate lyrics. More info on Music Business Worldwide. TikTok has teamed up with Peloton to create a #TikTokFitness hub on the social network. More info on Music Ally.
- Job of the Month #9: Performance Marketing Manager at Beatport. Read the article
- Deezer’s magic Flow is now available in Moods. Read the article
- Job of the Month #12: Global Music Editor. Read the article
- Labelcamp supports Dolby Atmos. Read the article
- Pan European Recording: Leading the way with AI-powered music videos. Read the article
- Enter the metaverse, Yndi and ill peach digitize their music. Read the l’article
- Inside Spotify’s Made to Be Found: Insights from the Experts. Read the article
- Fundamental tips for artists on Spotify. Read the article
- Spotify: Jennifer Masset’s advice for Indies. Read the l’article
- Feature to try: Spotify Clips. Read the article
- TikTok trends: sped up songs. Read the article
- A musician guide to TikTok: Introduction. Read the article
- A musician guide to TikTok: Strategy. Read the article
- How the IDOL strategy, built on a TikTok trend, helped Else achieve double diamond certification. Read the article
- User Centric: A fairer streaming model is possible. Read the article
- YouTube: Thematic channels. Read the article
- YouTube: The official artist channel (OAC). Read the article
- YouTube: Sun Records’ Rights managements. Read the article
- YouTube Series #4: lyric videos. Read the article