Streaming round-up – October 2023
The figure of the month: 6 million. That’s the net number of new Spotify premium subscribers, for a total of 226 million paying users in Q3. More info on Music Business Worldwide.
Amazon is shutting down its Amazon Amp radio service, launched in 2022, which allowed listeners to play DJs. More info on Music Ally. Amazon Music for Artists launches a new site with case studies of success stories. More info on Music Ally.
Audioshake adds LyricSync, a feature for lyrics transcription with time stamping. More info on Hypebot.
A year and a half after its purchase, Epic Games resells Bandcamp. More info on Music Business Worldwide. In the weeks following the takeover, the new owner, Songtradr, laid off 50% of its employees. More info on Variety.
Universal Music Group enters a strategic AI partnership with BandLab Technologies. More info on Music Week.
French label Wagram Music signs up to Deezer’s artist-centric approach. More info on Complete Music Update.
Patreon acquires Moment, an event live streaming startup. More info on Variety.
Spotify has just announced that it is changing its royalties model to “crush streaming fraud”. More info on Music Business Worldwide. Spotify has no plans to ban music created with AI. More info on BBC News. In fact, Spotify is embracing AI, and developing AI-generated playlists. More info on TechCrunch. Spotify threatens to pull out of Uruguay over proposed regulatory changes to copyright law. More info on Music Business Worldwide. Spotify has patented a “digital mixtape” generator that compiles users’ vocal recordings with songs. More info on Music Business Worldwide. Spotify code suggests the arrival of a Supermium service with lossless audio for $20 a month. More info on The Verge.
Tencent Music partners with Qualcomm to launch AI-powered premium sound quality. More info on TechNode.
TikTok officially launches TikTok Music in Australia, Singapore and Mexico without the Universal Music catalog. More info on Music Business Worldwide. TikTok confirms testing an ad-free subscription outside the US. More info on TechCrunch.
X / Twitter
X tests new paid subscriptions to offset disappointing advertising revenues. More info on The Verge. X introduces a $1/year fee for new subscriptions in New Zealand and the Philippines. More info on Complete Music Update. X no longer labels sponsored posts for some users, which is illegal. More info on Mashable.
Amazon Music expands benefits for Prime members. More info on Digital Music News.
BandLab users can now integrate their sounds directly from Airbit, the platform acquired by BandLab Technologies last February. More info on Music Business Worldwide.
Meta launches generative AI features for advertisers. More info on TechCrunch. Broadcast channels, popular on Instagram and WhatsApp, arrive on Facebook and Messenger. More info on The Verge. Instagram adds a poll feature to comments. More info on Social Media Today
Spotify’s new artist profiles highlight music, Stories, merchandise and events. More info on TechCrunch. Spotify launches Jam, a real-time collaborative playlist. More info on Music Business Worldwide. Spotify publishes a guide to help artists “prepare for Wrapped”. More info on Hypebot. Spotify works on a new “surprise” way to share your favorite music. More info on Android Central. Spotify adds listening restrictions to its free users in India. More info on Music Ally.
TikTok launches a new feature to enable video publishing from Adobe, CapCut, Twitch and other popular editing apps. More info on TechCrunch.
YouTube’s latest features aim to help creators generate more money. More info on TechCrunch. YouTube develops an AI tool to help create videos with voices of popular artists. More info on Billboard.
- Job of the Month #9: Performance Marketing Manager at Beatport. Read the article
- Deezer’s magic Flow is now available in Moods. Read the article
- Job of the Month #12: Global Music Editor. Read the article
- Labelcamp supports Dolby Atmos. Read the article
- Pan European Recording: Leading the way with AI-powered music videos. Read the article
- Enter the metaverse, Yndi and ill peach digitize their music. Read the l’article
- Inside Spotify’s Made to Be Found: Insights from the Experts. Read the article
- Fundamental tips for artists on Spotify. Read the article
- Spotify: Jennifer Masset’s advice for Indies. Read the l’article
- TikTok trends: sped up songs. Read the article
- A musician guide to TikTok: Introduction. Read the article
- A musician guide to TikTok: Strategy. Read the article
- How the IDOL strategy, built on a TikTok trend, helped Else achieve double diamond certification. Read the article
- User Centric: A fairer streaming model is possible. Read the article
- YouTube: Thematic channels. Read the article
- YouTube: The official artist channel (OAC). Read the article
- YouTube: Sun Records’ Rights managements. Read the article
- YouTube Series #4: lyric videos. Read the article