Streaming round-up – December 2023
The figure of the month: according to the IFPI’s Engaging with Music 2023 study, 73% of people around the world use an audio streaming service – TikTok topping the charts for younger audiences. More info on Music Week.
Apple Music might pay more for tracks remixed in Dolby Atmos. More info on The Verge.
Google’s AI tool Gemini will not be deployed in Europe for now. More info on The Next Web. Epic Games, Fortnite’s creator, has won its antitrust battle against Google. More info on TechCrunch.
The Meta group faces new questions in Europe about child safety risks on Instagram. More info on TechCrunch.
Sixteen years after its creation, Soundcloud announces that it has achieved annual profitability, with a 7.5% increase in benefits. More info on Music Ally.
Like Meta and other tech companies, Spotify is making cutbacks to deal with rising costs. More info on The Guardian. Regarding the new remuneration model, IMPALA asks for more time to study the modalities. More info on Music Ally. In the meantime, Spotify has provided more details on his new model. More info on Music Business Worldwide.
The European Commission will force Apple to change its App Store rules following a complaint filed nearly five years ago by Spotify. More info on Complete Music Update. In a turn of events, Spotify is not withdrawing its service from Uruguay after all. More info on Music Business Worldwide. Spotify and Deezer push back against France’s new music streaming tax. More info on Music Business Worldwide.
Faced with austerity measures imposed by parent company Block, TIDAL is forced to diminish its workforce. More info on Music Business Worldwide..
TikTok extends its partnership with Ticketmaster to 20 new markets. More info on The Verge. TikTok’s Add To Music function expands to 19 new countries. More info on Music Week. U.S. federal judge blocks TikTok’s Montana ban, judging it unconstitutional. More info on The Guardian.
Tuned Global has partnered with Sona, a new streaming platform co-founded by artist and producer TOKiMONSTA, with a hybrid artist-centric model. More info on Music Week.
YouTube Premium and Music launch in 10 new countries. More info on 9to5Google. The European Music Managers Alliance extends its partnership with YouTube Music. More info on Music Week. YouTube remains the number one streaming platform for teenagers in the USA. More info on Music Ally. YouTube publishes a major rule change for copyright disputes – with a possible win for music publishers. More info on Digital Music News.
X / Twitter
Elon Musk insults advertisers who flee his platform. More info on The Guardian. Swiss organization SUISA Digital sues Elon Musk’s company X for refusal to pay for music licenses. More info on Music Business Worldwide. A case that echoes that of last summer.
Meta AI now supports Reels and launches “reimagine”, a function for generating AI images in group conversations. More info on TechCrunch. After regulatory hurdles, Meta’s Threads app launch in Europe is the app’s biggest expansion since its inception. More info on le Wall Street Journal.
Snapchat+ subscribers can now create and send AI-generated images. More info on TechCrunch.
Spotify will soon open its Discovery mode to mixes. More info on Music Ally. Spotify gathers all its tools for artists in a new “Campaign Kit”. More info on Music Ally. Spotify confirms a feature test to allow users to create playlists using AI. More info on TechCrunch.
TikTok launches artist accounts for musicians. More info on Music Business Worldwide. TikTok partners with publishers for its new premium advertising space, ‘Pulse Premiere’. More info on TechCrunch. TikTok offers longer videos, which worries some creators. More info on CNN Business.
Tumblr tests “Communities”, semi-private groups with a dedicated feed. More info on TechCrunch.
- Job of the Month #9: Performance Marketing Manager at Beatport. Read the article
- Deezer’s magic Flow is now available in Moods. Read the article
- Job of the Month #12: Global Music Editor. Read the article
- Labelcamp supports Dolby Atmos. Read the article
- Pan European Recording: Leading the way with AI-powered music videos. Read the article
- Enter the metaverse, Yndi and ill peach digitize their music. Read the l’article
- Inside Spotify’s Made to Be Found: Insights from the Experts. Read the article
- Fundamental tips for artists on Spotify. Read the article
- Spotify: Jennifer Masset’s advice for Indies. Read the l’article
- TikTok trends: sped up songs. Read the article
- A musician guide to TikTok: Introduction. Read the article
- A musician guide to TikTok: Strategy. Read the article
- How the IDOL strategy, built on a TikTok trend, helped Else achieve double diamond certification. Read the article
- User Centric: A fairer streaming model is possible. Read the article
- YouTube: Thematic channels. Read the article
- YouTube: The official artist channel (OAC). Read the article
- YouTube: Sun Records’ Rights managements. Read the article
- YouTube Series #4: lyric videos. Read the article